Catching up with 2020 Editor-Writer Mentee Alyssa Reynoso-Morris
We are excited to catch up with our 2020 Picture Book Mentee Alyssa Reynoso-Morris, who worked with Associate Editor Jessica Anderson over the past year.
1) Which fictional character/personality did your Editor-Mentor most channel?
Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender - my mentor was kind and nurturing. She was encouraging but not afraid to give it to me straight. She was clear in her feedback and communication. I really appreciate her and am excited to continue working with her. I hear so many horror stories about how competitive and cutthroat the publishing world is - and that all may be true - but that was not my experience with my mentor. She was kind and insightful. She was encouraging and motivating.
2) What surprised you about your writing or yourself during your mentorship?
I was happy to hear that my writing resonated with an editor. An idea that I wrote down and then edited - a lot - with the support of critique partners, evolved to a point that an editor was able to see the potential. And then my editor-mentor was able to give me further insight and feedback that enabled the story to truly blossom.
3) On a long day of writing or querying, what sage advice from your Editor-Mentor will be floating around in your mind?
4) Will you share with us what you've been working on? Give us the one-line pitch of your manuscript.
I have been working on not one - but two manuscripts - with my mentor. More details to come.
5) What's next for you and your writing career?
I am agented and am excited to sell some books